Cockroaches live in all types of buildings and all types of neighborhoods. They are not picky. Bathrooms and kitchens are where we commonly find them. They prefer to hide in dark, moist, undisturbed areas that are close to food, water, and heat sources. When you turn on a light they will quickly hide and may go unseen.
Cockroaches carry viral and bacterial pathogens on their bodies and in their feces. You can become sick with salmonella poisoning, dysentery, and asthma by using utensils that have been contaminated by cockroaches or unknowingly consume contaminated food that has been exposed to cockroaches.
People can also produce an allergy to cockroaches when exposed to them. People with chronic severe bronchial asthma are most likely to have cockroach allergies. Symptoms of cockroach allergies include a stuffy nose that won’t go away, skin rash, and year-around asthma symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, a feeling of tightness in the chest, and shortness of breath.
If you discover you have cockroaches there are steps you can take to get rid of them. Calling a Pest Control Professional can be a great aid to your fight against them. Do-it-yourself cockroach treatments and products, if not used properly, may not be effective and may contain pesticides that can be more harmful to people and pets than they are to the roaches.
Werner Pest & Odor Control often combats cockroach infestations by using cockroach baits that will eliminate the population. Cockroach baits provides the client with the least amount of pesticide exposure and is a very effective treatment. Werner Pest & Odor Control has also done crack and crevice pesticide treatments if the situation calls for this type of treatment.
Werner Pest & Odor Control also advises our clients in ways to eliminate favorable areas that roaches desire to live. Ways to help eliminate the population of cockroaches and prevent cockroaches include;
- Keep food and garbage in containers with tight lids. Never leave food out in the kitchen or anywhere else.
- Clean up all food crumbs and spilled drinks right away.
- Store food in tight containers or storage jars.
- Wash dirty dishes right away.
- Don’t leave out pet food, except when your pet is eating.
- Keep counters, sinks, stove, tables, and floors clean and clear of clutter.
- Clean areas under refrigerators, stoves, microwaves, and sinks.
- Vacuum or sweep the kitchen floor after meals. Mop the floor at least once a week.
- Fix leaky faucets, drain pipes, and other moisture problems.
- Get rid of piles of things, like cardboard boxes and newspapers, where cockroaches may hide.
If you discover or suspect that you may have cockroaches call Werner Pest & Odor Control today. One of our experienced service technicians will evaluate your situation and provide you the best service possible to eliminate any cockroaches living in your home.